Police advisory on prevention of online or mobile based frauds
Superintendent of Police (Crime) and PRO, PHQ through a press release stated that it has come to the notice of the Nagaland Police that fraudsters are impersonating the Political Executives/Senior Government Officials including the Police of Nagaland on WhatsApp and contacting officials or people known to them asking for assistance. The Modus Operandi is:
- Register in WhatsApp using black/fake SIM cards
- Use the photograph of the person impersonated as a WhatsApp profile picture
- Get the Name and Phone number of potential victims from websites and other social media accounts (friends list) of the person impersonated
- Share the link of Amazon Pay Gift Cards to the victims asking them to purchase the same and send the cards or the claim codes to the fraudster
- The fraudster claim they are out of town, in a conference/meeting, or otherwise engaged and that is why they need you to make the purchase for them
Further, it stated that it has been observed that fraudsters are impersonating people on other social media platforms especially Facebook using the same modus operandi with the motive of asking for financial assistance and defrauding innocent victims. Nagaland Police reiterated that one should not give/make any financial transaction to other people without ascertaining their identity.