Advisory on the ingress of Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza (HPAI)
In view of the recent ingress of Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza (HPAI) in the country especially in Kerala, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh and Himachal Pradesh, the Directorate of Animal Husbandry &Veterinary Services has issued an advisory for Preparedness, Control and Containment of Avian Influenza which is caused by H5N8, an Influenza Type- A Virus is being issued to the General Public & District Officers of Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Services for coordinated efforts and containment measures in the State.
- Public are requested to report unusual sickness & mortality of poultry birds, ducks, pet birds to the nearest Veterinary Health Centre.
- Public are requested not to handle and consume such poultry birds / ducks which have died suddenly. However, it is safe to consume healthy poultry birds / ducks / turkeys etc.
- Poultry Owners are requested not to mix outside (unknown source) live poultry birds / ducks into his / her stock to prevent transmission of diseases.
- Poultry Entrepreneurs / Farmers / Business man etc importing eggs, day old chicks / ducklings, live birds / ducks etc into the State are requested to mandatorily produce the State of origin and refrain from importing such stocks from diseased outbreak and its neighbouring States.
- All CVOs’ are to issue “Red Alert” notice to all Subordinate Officer, Field Officers, Staff and Village Functionaries on the ingress of the disease in the country and impress upon strong disease reporting system within respective district through Education & Communication Campaign and familiarise the public about the risk to avian and human population.
- All CVOs’ are to coordinate with Forest & Wild Life Department on the status of wild birds. Those CVOs’ having water bodies in the district and being visited by migratory birds needs to be extra vigilant.
- All CVOs’ are to activate their existing Rapid Response Team (RRT) any changes required due to transfer / retirement; the CVOs’ are to reconstitute the Team. All RRTs’ are to have direct connection with the grass root level for two way communication.
- All CVOs’ are to contact the Control Room in the Directorate Office for Avian Influenza (HPAI) related matters and also ELISA Laboratory, Kohima for further surveillance and sample collection.